Difference between revisions of "Lesson3"
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Latest revision as of 16:43, 28 January 2020
Goal: Launch a website on the CMS platform Known. After participants attend two of your events they get a free website. We use the platform Known. As an oerganizer you will need to handle launching these websites.
- Determine audience and purpose of their website.
- Compare a hypothetical profile from now to five years in the future.
- Create and publish a profile page on Known.
- Lesson 3 will take multiple sessions and requires dedicated admin time for setting up websites.
- Known Repo
- Tutorial Video on Installing Known in Reclaim Hosting
- Tutorial on using Known
- Pass out a sticky note or index card
- Have students draw what their social media profile would look like.
- Remind people they can focus on hobbies, projects, who are they.
- Participants can choose three words if they get stuck.
- Share the profiles
- Then have participants flip over the cards and create a profile for themselves five years from now.
- Next have students mock up a homepage.
- Give them a blank piece of paper.
- Show students different homepage designs. Define key terms like hero image, call to action, profile, h-card.
- Discuss difference between a static homepage and a social stream.
- Collect an email address for everyone and a preferred subdomain.
- GOIF uses name.goifnetwork.org
- Create all the subdomains in the Reclaim Hosting cPanel.
- Issue a LetsEncrypt for each subdomain.
- Install Known.
- Meet with participants and give out websites.
- Have participants update their profile
- Have participants publish a post.
- Does everyone have a site?